Date: July 13, 2016
Summer time is upon us and everyone who works in the heat must take special precautions to stay safe and not get sick. Working in the heat can be very dangerous, but here are a few tips to stay safe working in the heat.
1. Dress appropriately. Wear short sleeve shirts and short pants whenever possible. Wear thin, breathable material and light colors. Do not wear tight fitted clothing.
2. Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated. Stay away from sugary sodas and energy drinks.
3. If you are working in the sun, wear sunblock and hats.
4. Take frequent breaks in the air conditioning.
5. Try to avoid being outside between 10am and 2pm when the sun is at it’s hottest part of the day.
6. If you feel dizzy, weak or nauseous, immediately take a break. If your symptoms persist, get medical attention.
Employers should train their employees about symptoms of heat-related illnesses and how to prevent them. They should also monitor employees and co-workers for any signs of illness, such as headache, dizziness, nausea, weakness, confusion, not sweating, or collapsing.
These are just a few tips to stay safe working in the heat this summer. Always keep your safety and co-workers safety in mind.