Children are out of school for the summer and will be spending a lot of time outside. Teach your children about sun and water safety so they can enjoy their summer break.
Staying safe in the sun:
1. Avoid direct sunlight between 10am-2pm when the sun is at it’s hottest.
2. Wear sun screen on all exposed skin, even on cloudy days and reapply every 2 hours.
3. Stay in the shade whenever possible.
4. Drink plenty of water.
5. Wear lightweight, light colored clothing.
6. Take frequent breaks in air conditioning or shade.
Staying safe in the water:
1. Always supervise children when in or around water.
2. Teach children to swim, formal swimming lessons can reduce the risk of drowning.
3. Adults should learn CPR in the event of an emergency.
4. Avoid inflatable swimming aids such as arm floaties. The best flotation device is a life vest.
5. Install fencing around a pool to prevent children from entering the pool area unsupervised.
6. If a child is missing, always search the pool first.